Bite-Sized NewsBoys eXtra #5
Song: The Orphan
Album: Devotion
Around this time in the era of music that’s called Newsboys (that would be 2003-2006) these aforementioned men came out with two albums Adoration first and Devotion came directly after that.
You will notice if you look at these albums that it’s all praise and worship, except one song — a song called The Orphan and it is the seventh track of Devotion. I shall now take the opertunity and try to pour a little light on this song.

For those of you who know your Bible, the Bible begins in a place where there is nothing but God and in that beginning God created the Heavens and the earth, and then God spoke and there was light. He spoke again, this time twice and dividing the water in several ways, spoke again and there was grass, it went on like this for five days. On the sixth day God created the animals that walk on the earth and God also made man — humans. You all remember this, right?

I don’t know when, but sometime soon after that God said "it is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a help meet for him." (KJV) That was woman.

I’m sure I digress, but you see that "it is not right" that man should be alone, that was the first thing that was wrong with this world. Look in your Bible, even before Satan comes and tempts Eve, and all that, even before that God says "it is not right that man should be alone". The first thing! And it’s still not right today, a Christian should not be alone. So there is the church, there is the church. That body so that men and women will not be alone. The newsboys, incase you didn’t know, are big on the nessesity of spiritual families, maybe not church in the strict sense of the word but in walking with other believers.

…I didn’t go to church for years. And the last few years God’s changed my life and He’s done it through the revelation of His Son, through the knowledge of His Word, the promises that are in it –there’s promises for all of us here tonight, God has plans for you, he says, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, to give you a hope and a future, that’s what God, your creator, has for you– and then again, he wants you to walk with His body, to find a church, to be discipled by people who are being discipled, to walk with men and women who are walking with other men and women. Now when I go to church –I don’t like the decorations/daycore(?), you know, I don’t like it there, don’t tell my pastor that; I don’t like the music, it’s too loud– but you see, when I go there I go there because I see a man and I know that man and I walk with him and I spend time with him and I know he spends time with that guy and him with him and I start to see this cell coming together and I see why everyone is there it’s just the disciples coming together on a Sunday to worship God. Together. But you see, all of them are tied together, and these cells and that’s the power of it. And why do you think there’s a enemy that does not want you to have…a revulation of the body? It’s its greatest fear. — Peter Furler, Live In Milwaukee (2004)

I confess I don’t quite get the verses of this song, something about a dying woman, a baby, a gypsy, and a man called Abraham, but, that’s not quite the point. The point is what it does show: someone wandering around "try[ing] to settle but…just passing through." And then the chorus, speaking to this wandering person, "don’t you worry, child, I wrote a lullaby." I suppose that’s why we have retreats, seminars, youth groups, Bible studies, all that: so that no one will be alone. Everyone knows your far more vulnerable on your own and that is because there is a enemy, he/it is there, why else would Paul tell us to put on the full armor of God? We’re at battle, it seems so subtle, but, I suppose that’s the whole stratigy against us. We are at battle, and no one should go to battle alone.

"’We are stronger together.’
Dar looked into Kale’s eyes…He turned to Lee Ark and nodded pointedly at the hole through which Kale stared. ‘It seems to me that we have a problem in this togetherness thing.’" — Donita K. Paul, DragonSpell

Besides that song I’m totally skipping over the albums Adoration and Devotion and will began on Thrive before too long.

(Imported from HomeschoolBlogger.)