A Mouth Post II

As I previously stated in my post last month "A Mouth Post" I have a tooth that sticks out and I catch my lip on it and end up biting it a lot. It is super painful and irritating. I end up being a pretty grumpy person to be around when I do this, simply because my mouth hurts so bad for days afterwards.

I finally went in for a cleaning and brought up the issue to the hygenist as well as the dentist. Both of them said that braces are basically the only thing that I can do to fix the issue. The teeth apparently shift naturally for various reasons and my tooth is just shifting outward, they both could see the area on my lip where I bite myself.

My dentist offers Invisalign and Six Month Smiles (both clear options) and I can't remember if they do traditional braces or if they would refer me to someone else who does. The difference between the Invisalign/Six Month and traditional braces is that the former is for "cosmetic" fixes and the metal braces are for actual orthodontics work. Obviously I would have to get a consultation and so forth to decide what would be best for me. Most likely either Invisalign or Six Month Smiles would do the trick for me as well as play a $4500-4800 trick on my budget.

I addressed the possibility of my wisdom teeth being the reason that my other teeth are shifting. Neither of them could confirm this hypothesis but they did not deny the possibility that my wisdom teeth could be to blame. There is no way to tell however because my wisdom teeth are all impacted and apparently x-rays of wisdom teeth aren't normal routine. (And I don't have dental insurance, so no x-rays, fancy or not.)

(Speaking of insurance, the hygenist mentioned that if you get your wisdom teeth pulled before they break through the skin then your regular health insurance will often cover it. For some reason, I am having a hard time believing this but it would be a cool thing.)

So, the plan is, I will get dental insurance in July and after I have it I will get my one tooth filled, and then after I am on the plan for the required time before the plan covers heavy duty work I will look back into braces.

Wait, rewind. What was that? A filling? YES. I have a little baby cavity. So sad! It is my first one, which is pretty good for being twenty-one, but darn.

So that is the scoop on my "cosmetic" mouth problems and my official first ever cavity.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

So you can buy into a dental plan through your work? That would be awesome savings for you. Hope it works out.