My "No Poo" Experience

I am officially ending my no poo experience. I decided to try no poo over the summer, I used baking soda instead of shampoo 2-3 times, vinegar as a conditioner/build-up remover 1 time, and the rest of the time I just used plain old water to wash my hair over the last 2-3 months. I also used a boar bristle brush regularly just like the internet told me too.

I kept hoping that my hair would get better and that I was just experiencing the not fun "transition period" that other no pooers talk about. My hair kept not getting better and just staying the same. My hair was sticky, full of dandruff, oily, and weighed down. The vinegar rinse dried my hair out and the times I used baking soda my hair did not feel any better or worse.

In the end, my hair looked so bad that I couldn't take it any more. I bought a clarifying shampoo from Pantene and washed my hair not once but twice. After my shower I used a Suave oil that I bought quite some time ago and put that on the ends of my hair.

My hair feels so much better! It is amazing not to have the nasty build-up of nastiness in my hair any more. So much nicer! I really gave no poo my best effort, I even bought a water filter for my shower, but I just couldn't make no poo work and had to give it up.

Now that I have returned to Shampoo World I don't think I will go back to my same routine. I was washing my hair every other day but I think now I may change to once weekly. It was nice not spending so much time in the shower washing my hair and it seems that my hair will actually behave for about a week after a wash before it starts getting naughty. (Case in point: it has been five days since my last shampoo and my hair is just starting to be yucky. I may wash today.)

I am still deciding what my new routine will be like. I will be figuring it out as I go along but I do know that the no poo method will not be part of it.

No comments: