Trimming the Tresses



I have spent the last two plus weeks whining that I need to cut my hair. Long hair is beautiful but it is far from practical and a pain in the pancreas.

My hair is currently about shoulder blade length, it is blonde at the roots and ginger on the bottom, and it needs to be revised.

A part of this desire to change my hairstyle is because I feel stuck in a rut, my life isn't going forward and I am not succeeding where I wish I was. I need to change something to jump start myself, and my hair seems like a good choice because it is just getting too long and annoying.

I thought about shoulder-length but meh, and I thought about a pixie cut but my ambitions are more than taking orders in a drive-thru. I pretty much settled on a bob, I think I could pull it off without looking like I have the hair of a seven-year-old. I have been paging through Pinterest for awhile looking for inspiration. I've seen frizzy bobs, choppy bobs, I-put-my-hair-in-a-lawn-mower bobs, short bobs, long bobs, bobs on seven-year-olds, I have seen it all.

Above I have pictures to illustrate what I want when I go to see my stylist.

1. In the length I am definitely thinking I want it to my chin at the most but definitely none of that crazy cheek length nonsense I saw. I definitely think that the chin length is the most flattering and sophisticated. I am definitely not getting layers but I am looking for the bare minimum of stacking, I like the top-right picture and will most likely use it as an example of how I want my ends. I will be sure and say, though, that I do not want my cut to be as close to my hairline as it is in the picture. I like a slight difference in length (longer in the front and shorter in the back) but nothing drastic, a very gentle difference.

2. I am nervous about flyaways and frizz but I see the bob wearing lady in the top-left picture has flyaway galore but looks fantastic. My frizziest hair is the hair nearest the nape of my neck and that hair will be mostly cut off. (Also: frizz control products are the bomb.com.)

3. My hair is currently dyed in the ombré style (read: has a couple inches of grown out roots). I do not want to dye over the roots or do any hair coloring at all. So, with a chin-length bob, I will have both hair colors in the picture. I wasn't sure how that would look but I see two colors in the bottom right photo and that gives me hope.

4. Bangs! I haven't had bangs since I was probably eight-years-old. I hated them then but I am not in love with my forehead now and am willing to give something that will cover it up a second chance. I want the bangs in the bottom left photo, they are slightly to the side and not too thick. Just what I want.

So! I had it all decided and then Jimmy was like, "Please don't cut your hair" and since I won't let him cut his beard and it is only fair....

This is what is called a compromise (and some ugly eyeliner).

It is funny that both those examples are red haired ladies. I just love me some red hair!

I am think the style on the left but the bangs on the right. So, it will be shorter but not as short. I like the layers and the face framing pieces and the covered forehead.

What do you think?

No comments: