Adventures in the Kitchen

I would say that my two main hobbies are probably cooking/baking and shopping. I love to create food magic in the kitchen--it is so fun for me! It lets someone with zero artistic talent, like me, to be creative and make stuff.

A couple weekends ago I made a Lemon Poppyseed Bundt Cake. My reasons are simple: 1) I love lemon poppyseed, 2) I had poppyseeds on hand, and 3) I needed to try out my new bundt pan from TJ Maxx. I used a recipe from thefarmchicks.com which I followed pretty closely except for a few substitutions like lemon juice from a bottle instead of the zest and fresh squeezed stuff that the recipe asked for and milk and vinegar instead of buttermilk. I was a little wary of the baking soda and necessary acidic component because I tend to have poor success in that area. It turned out good, though! No nasty baking soda flavor. I think this is because I never knew until then that you have to mix the vinegar and the milk and then let it sit for several minutes inorder for the food magic to work.
I probably will not make this recipe again. It was not bad but it did not have the texture that I wanted. I wanted soft, fluffy, and a slightly chewy crust. This was more...pound cakey, I guess.

Last weekend I had to try out my new muffin tin (also from TJ Maxx) so I made Lemon Blueberry muffins (because I had lemon juice to use up). I used a recipe from bakedbyrachel.com. I am pretty sure that my favorite thing about making cupcakes/muffins is picking out the liners. I used some cute little pink ones with cupcakes all over them. I know there is generally a scientific reason behind certain cooking instructions. In order to achieve certain results you have to take specific steps. One of those certain steps may have been the instructions for incorporating the ingredients. The recipe started out in the traditional manner, creaming the butter and the sugar, adding the eggs and flavorings but then it went all screwy. Adding the dry ingredients without mixing them together first and then adding in the yogurt after a batter had been formed. 
If I were to repeat this recipe I think that I would add more lemon juice and mix the ingredients together in a way that would make more sense.

Today I made Pioneer Woman's "Best Lasagna Ever" for the second time. It turned out too salty this time. :( I am trying to analyze what I did to make it too salty. The first time I made it it was perfect but I did not follow the recipe super closely. This time around I followed the recipe a little more and it is too salty. If I go to make it again I think that I will stick with my original changes, no eggs, leaving out the salt, possibly leaving out the mozarella, and using more noodles. I am very dissapointed though. I was looking forward to an awesome lasagna! Not a dud. :(

I also made 7 Layer Bars. I would say that the name is a stretch of the imagination. Yes, the bars have seven ingredients but I would say that they only have four layers, five if you do not count the butterscotch and chocolate chips as a single layer. But, whatever the name, I love these bars! I have never made them myself before and so I just grabbed a recipe online from todaysmama.com. The bars are incredibly sweet, I might try unsweetened coconut next time. All I know is that these bars are super delicious and super easy.

No comments: