Pancakes for One

This recipe started out as a Cooks.com recipe for two people. I made quite a few experiements with changing different parts of the recipe in order to achieve the perfect pancakes for one. This is the result of my efforts

Mix together:
1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

I have this handy plastic bowl that I make this in. The rim has a built in handle and a curved edge for pouring the batter into the pan. It is super handy and just the right size!

Add:
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup of milk

I liike to turn on my stove at this point. I cook my pancakes at med-med-low heat in a small (about 8") skillet. I like the small skillet because it heats up quickly and is just the perfect size for making one big pancake. If I use the bigger, average sized skillet I turn the heat to medium. Temperature is important, folks! Every stovetop is different so experiment until you get a heat that gets a nice golden color on the outside of your pancake at the same time that it cooks the pancake all the way through.

Back to the batter: mix it with a whisk. Or a fork, if you are like me and don't own a whisk. Don't be overly concerned about mixing out every little lump. Mix it well but don't overdue it. Small lumps will cook out but big lumps won't.

I spray my pan* real quick (thank you, Lord, for making Pam) and then pour in 1/3 of my batter. I flip my pancake when I see a bubble near the center of the pancake pop without closing over. Flip it! Be brave when you flip it. If you are shy and careful it will only end badly. Flip it like you mean it.

Repeat. 

Repeat again.

You should have a stack of three beautiful, delicious pancakes. Butter generously. Don't be shy with the syrup. Take a bite. Yum.

*note: I only spray my pan once, I think this makes the prettiest pancakes. If you are not using a nonstick pan or don't care about pretty pancakes, you may want to spray more.

No comments: