On Theatre, Chili, School, Essays.....

Whenever I hear the song "Can't Help Lovin' that Man of Mine" from Showboat I think of how much I love theatre. Of course, I think of Murder in the Air specifically because that is the play that featured that song. What fun that was! Of course, I wasn't in it. I was merely understudy for thirteen people, Katelyn was understudy for those same people. We rehearsed every Tuesday night for 3-4 months taking a 3-4 week break at Christmas. We filled in for someone who couldn't make a practice and learned the script as best we could in case something bad might happen.

The story began at multimillionaire Lord Cyril Pierce Ninny's forty-third (?) annual birthday bash. All of his closes friends are gathered in the Air Ninny Hanger where the birthday entertainment included a welcome and introduction by Dirk Belltone; a surprise plug from Isadora Graham-Cracker, Arrabella Langostino, and Ehrhardt von Ehrhardt; and, of course, a speech from Lord Ninny's fourth wife, Lady Ariadne Dithering-Ninny. :)



You can just tell from that that it was humorous, can't you? Things go splendidly until it comes the time when Lady Ariadne is supposed to give her speech but she is not to be found. She is found under the table, Dr. Barry M. Deep and Nurse Hetta Babbler help to bring her back to reality and she gives her speech. When, at last, she gets to the time when she gets the guests (audience) singing a rousing chorus of "Happy Birthday" and motions dramatically to the door where Lord Ninny is supposed to have made a enterance that would have thrilled them all. Instead, nothing. Nothing but Ricky, the mechanic, who enters wiping his hands on a rag and not looking fit for a multimillionaire's birthday party.

Next Holden Gunn enters with his sidekick Rino Walsharski determined to brave Lord Ninny's butler and solve the case.

For amatuers we did pretty well (okay, so Holden was a highschool drama teacher and our director has directed loads and loads) but, you know, for the most part: amateurs. We only had one performance which went off with only a few hitches. (Like our Arrabella loosing one of her contacts and therefore turning up very late, one tough part in the play with a missing line, and a gun that didn't fire like it should've. Still.)



Ah, I do love theatre. Enjoyable, no? So, church friends, who else agrees that we must have a Easter concert this year? You'll recall that we didn't have one last year. :(



Onto something else, I was looking for something to read yesterday and I picked up The Man Who Was [G.K.] Chesterton from my shelf of to-reads. It has been sitting there for awhile just waiting for me to have the gumption to read it. (It is, like, 400-500 pages of essays, poetry, and Catholic theology. Along with other things, I'm sure.) I would love it, who cannot love reading Chesterton?

"My forthcoming work in five volumes, `The Neglect of Cheese in European Literature,' is a work of such unprecedented and laborious detail that it is doubtful whether I shall live to finish it. Some overflowings from such a fountain of information may therefore be permitted to springle these pages. I cannot yet wholly explain the neglect to which I refer. Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese. Virgil, if I remember right, refers to it several times, but with too much Roman restraint. He does not let himself go on cheese. The only other poet that I can think of just now who seems to have had some sensibility on the point was the nameless author of the nursery rhyme which says: `If all the trees were bread and cheese' - which is indeed a rich and gigantic vision of the higher gluttony." -- G.K. Chesterton, the beginning of his essay titled "Cheese"

"Lying in bed would be an altogether perfect and supreme experience if only one had a colored pencil long enough to draw on the ceiling. This, however, is not generally a part of the domestic apparatus on the premises. I think myself that the thing might be managed with several pails of Aspinall and a broom. Only if one worked in a really sweeping and masterly way, and laid on the color in great washes, it might drip down again on one's face in floods of rich and mingled color like some strange fairy rain; and that would have its disadvantages." -- G.K. Chesterton, the beginning of his essay "On Lying in Bed"

Who cannot love that? Thing is, I think it would have to be takin' in small doses which means it would take a bit of a time to read it, therefore, a bit of a time before I can read anything else. See? That is the whole of my difficulty, is this worth not reading a great many other things? :) Ah well, I don't have to think about that right now because I am much too busy reading schoolish things.

Speaking of school, I am almost finished with biology! Yay! (How cool is the homeschooler's ability to call the shots?) In fact, I am so almost finished that, if nothing unforseen happens (like the explosion of the world or Pandora crashing or peanut butter being banned in America) I will be finished by this time next week. :D
Even better than finishing is that I didn't do half bad. Things started out poorly but improved which, of course, lifted my spirits. After spending the morning of this lovely, lazy Saturday reading Anne of Green Gables I feel like I should be saying a great load of words like "tragical" and "romantic" and, of course, "poetic." Also a great many sos in italics.
Today is quite a pleasant day because, friends, I have no do or die schoolwork to do. Well, I do, but it's a very small amount and because it is a very small amount it will take up very little time and therefore I can do other things like blog and altogether do basically nothing. I do feel quilty for doing basically nothing but not guilty enough to actually do something.

Yesterday I attempted making chili for the first time ever. We had all the stuff on hand and it seemed like a very economical thing to make which is a very good thing to be conscious of now-a-days. It even ended up providing about two meals. It was a little bland, it could have used more tomatoes or sauce, maybe more meat, and definitely more spice. Oh, and it was too wet. I am not a particular fan of soupy soup. :P At least now I know a little more than I did before and next time I can make changes to improve it. :)
I am very, very bad at figuring amounts and portions. You see, I made biscuits to go with it. The recipe said it would make twelve 2in. biscuits so I doubled the recipe and got...twelve biscuits.
I helped Rebekah play Speed Uno while the chili cooked. She loves to play Uno (not Speed Uno) but isn't very good at paying attention to what she has in her hands and what is going on around her. I do believe she draws when she doesn't have to and things like that. So I was on her team, it got a little agravating at time how she wasn't playing in an aggressive fashion. She held the cards so that I couldn't see them, didn't play attention to what card was currently on top, and almost herself to tears a few times. I hate the 7 rule. :P Naturally, we won the first game. :)
We played five or so games before the girls had worked themselves into crazy fits of hysteria. Some people might enjoy that kind of thing but too much is too much so I went and made the biscuits. Really, laughing and playing and throwing cards around is great but this was crazy fits of hysteria. ;)

Well, I was going to say more but I am tired of sitting here in front of the laptop so this will be all. I guess you will just have to manage with this, I hope you aren't too terribly disappointed. Just remember that I will post more again another time for wild horses could not keep me from it. :)
What I was going to say in shortened form:
1. I had a very enjoyable day last Sunday, despite feeling a wee bit negative about Valentine's.
2. My family consists of a bunch of people who watch movies in a very different way and it is amusing.
3. I need to form a habit of never leaving any webpage open and signed into for even a second and always logging out when finished.

Therefore, I end with, may you have a day in which the sunlight shines on your faces and you get your daily quota of vitamin D. For, you know, a day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

No comments: