Three Dollars a Gallon

(This post was written yesterday about a conversation I had last week and an event that happened this evening. Disclaimer: Don't blame me if you are offended or unhappy or very ugly.)

The other day I was talking with one of my friends about how we both do nothing in the town we live in and how we're always spending a ton of money on gasoline because everything is a whopping monstrous, gas-guzzling drive.

Wal-Mart is at the end of a fifteen minute drive on the interstate, the grocery store is a half an hour, church is a half an hour, get-together with friends between 5-45 minutes of driving.

Of course, the obvious solution is to become a hermit and live on roots and berries and things. I do not think that have what it takes to survive on "roots, berries, and things." Or we could just train people to share the load of driving, maybe we can subtly wean people into the idea that driving so that other people don't have to is a nice thing to do.

I am working on teleportation but until then making grocery shopping easier will have to wait.

So far, our the weaning process is going interestingly. The first event that we've arranged is being attended by a bunch of people who do not belong to our most active clique. Which is fine, it just seems odd that the people we hang out with on a regular basis aren't willing to spend a little more time in the car. (Random: I do despise how very limiting cliques are. They are so hard to abandon. I need a "Get Out of Jail Free" card.)

...And I lost my train of thought. Well, any of you who are muttering about what a double crosser, I am. Just be glad that a super-cool event was birthed and ignore the fact that its daddy was a conversation in a long hall of dirty carpeting.

No comments: