Stage, Oh How I Love The

I went to two different bits of theatrical fabulousness this week. Tales of Terror and Mame, to be precise.

The first was totally free! Joy! I am thinking this is because we went with our librarian and the play was somewhat intwined with The Big Read. A very talented guy got up and did a one man show.

He was really great and all that but I was a little disappointing that it wasn't actually a play. I was all prepared to witness a dramatic presentation of one of Poe's short stories but instead I witnessed a man get up, talk, read poetry, and recite a couple of Poe's stories.

So, it was good but not what I was expecting at all. After the performance we went out for ice cream at Culvers. Yay Culvers! I had the flavor of the day, I've never had a flavor of the day before but when I saw the words "Snickers Swirl" my mind was made up. I don't think I've ever made up my mind that quickly before! Ordering is usually a heartwrenching decision!

Speaking of Culvers, I currently have a coupon for a single free cake cone or dish. Thankfully, it doesn't have a expiration date on it because it is only redeemable in a town I rarely go to! Bother. I'm not traveling 15-20 minutes just to get one free single cake cone or dish, I would rather tag it onto the end of a bigger trip.

Last night I saw the second play and, let me just dedicate this paragraph to the super cool people who were behind the playing of a song from the musical "Frogs" during the what-do-you-call it before the play started and the announcements and the overture and whatnot. Cool people put a song from Frogs next to a song from Oliver!

Before I saw Mame, I was a little nervous because I was paying $12 to see a play I knew nothing about! I knew the bare minimum of the storyline and, like, three of the songs! (We Need a Little Christmas, The Moon Song, and Bosom Buddies.)

The play was actually quite enjoyable! It was definitely amusing, as long as you were one of those people who can ignore impolite words and adult humor. It got a little awkward a couple of times, like when Agnes (who was cast as a 50something year old woman) got--erm--knocked up. That was awkward! It looked like she had a bag of socks stuffed up her dress. Oh, these low budget plays! :P

Still, the play was pretty amusing! They served cookies during the intermission, too! That was pretty grand.

After the play we were given a tour of the backstage area by one of the actors that we (my sister and I) knew. I am now more impressed with the actors and stage hands then I was before! How they keep their sanity in such tight, dark spaces really impresses me! I am impressed. The backstage area was kind of creepy! It was so very Phantom of the Opera-ish. Positively grand.

But now I must leave! I am going dancing! :D Too bad it isn't raining, that would fit the theme so much better.

No comments: