And Suddenly I'm Flying, Flying Like a Bird

Anyone? Anyone? No? Elton John? Billy Elliot? Well, it's a song called Electricity.

And then I feel a change
Like a fire deep inside
Something bursting me wide open, impossible to hide
And suddenly I'm flying, flying like a bird
Like electricity, electricity
Sparks inside of me
And I'm free I'm free

Anyways. I went dancing yesterday. My five sisters and one friend were ambassadors of sorts. We were the scouts that went ahead, the ones who forged the trail for the others to follow.

The others in our dance group didn't attend because they felt that their skills were not good enough for the other dancers. (Except for two of our dancers, that I know of, who had previous engagements that could not be canceled or postponed.) So, it was our duty to go ahead and bring back a report.

How good were the other dancers? How fast was the caller? How many people were there? Was this an actual club? How much does it cost? Do they have snacks? Childcare?

So on, and so on. We went, we saw, we danced, and now: we will report as soon as possible. My report is all positive.

But first, who puts a air hockey and pool table in their dance hall? Huh? Huh? Tell me! We are not here to see who can hit the puck off the table. This is a dance, at a dance people dance. How many Bennets would be overcome with horrification if they went to a modern square dance. Not only do men sit out while there are women in need of partners but--oh my galloping granny--ankles. The horror! :P

Firstly, the dance was not put on by a club of any sort and the dancers were not members of any sort of club as far as I could tell. I wore my very spiffy club badge and had it commented on a few times, people saying what good thing name tags are.
There were about four squares total and then some people sitting out. Not everyone danced, some people were just there for the social aspect. I was there for both, of course. Apparently the number of people at a dance fluctuates quite a bit from month to month.
Because the dances only happen once a month and not all the dancers attend at a regular basis, I felt pretty cool most of the time. I felt on a level with these dancers most of the time. One couple there made me feel quite inferior, though. Don't you hate that? There's the one person or the one couple who dance with such superiority and make you feel like such a fool? Ugh. I hope that I am not one of those and never will be one of those.

I felt like the squares I was in fell appart or had difficulty fairly regularly but I didn't feel like it was always my fault or anything. I felt like it was my fault fairly often but occasionally I could point my finger and say, "No, it was he/she/its fault."

We danced about five square dances, I think, breaking between each to get a drink of cold well water out of the cooler and snack on veggies, cheese curds, or guacamole flavored corn chips. The bell peppers were very tasty and the cheese curds were yummilicous. Besides the square dances we also danced the Virginia Reel and two line dances. I attempted the first line dance, the Dead Skunk, but quickly gave up. The dance is a dance probably most favored by young males. Our caller told us that it is often played as the very last tip and the boys have contests to see who can keep kicking their legs the highest for the longest time.
The other one was Cotton Eye Joe, it looked like a lot of fun but my line dancing skills are severely limited. The only one I can do with even an ounce of skill would be the Electric Slide. My mission: to add Cotton Eye Joe to my repertoire. (I like the word repertoire.) And Dead Skunk, if possible.

The dance was a lot of fun! I cannot wait to go again! My silly friends, not going. They had nothing to be scared of. The caller was really quite slow. Or, it felt like it to me. Who's afraid of the big, bad caller? Not me! At least, I'm not any more. ;)

2 comments:

Heather said...

Oh, you forgot to mention the bodyslam swing!

Heather

Heather said...

Oh, you forgot to mention the bodyslam swing!

Heather