The Dinner Here is Never Second Best

Does anyone know of a use for a Minestrone soup mix besides soup?

I'm trying to revamp what I do for Saul for dinner. I tend to get to his house in the morning with no clue what I am going to do for dinner. I usually come up with something halfway through the day and go shopping for whatever ingredients aren't on hand or else Saul's says, you know, make this, here is some money, go buy what we don't have.

So, I am going to the grocery store several times a week. So, this week I decided that, next week, I'm going to be prepared. I came home on Thursday knowing what Saul had in his pantry and knowing that most of those ingredients have been sitting on those shelves much too long.

So, I will be working three days next week. Let me halt the dinner car and take a small detour. There is also going to be three lunches taking place. I'm planning on doing one of these three things for lunch.
Leftovers--But I am planning on making very tasty food so there might not be any leftovers.
Sandwiches--Cold cuts, grilled cheese, grilled cold cuts, peanut butter and jelly, whatever we feel like eating. (We=Karina and I)
Pancakes--There are two open boxes of pancake mix in the pantry and I love pancakes.

For dinner on Monday I am planning to use his ground beef, canned mushrooms, onions, minced garlic, and rice. The recipe says to serve this over buttered noodles but there are no noodles in the pantry, there is, however, two opened bags of rice and a huge bag of unopened rice. I will need to buy some tomato sauce, though. He hasn't got any.
So, Monday dinner will be Beef Stroganoff Over Rice.

On Tuesday I want to make the Minestrone soup but the mouths I am feeding rebel against soup. Or something, every time I mention it they quickly change the subject. So, I am thinking I'll make rotisserie chicken, mashed potatoes, and some sort of vegetable. The problem with this is that I would have to buy just about everything except the vegetable. I think I would make dessert to go with this, mainly lemon poppy seed bread. I'm thinking a thick slice of that with some vanilla ice cream would be divine. By Tuesday there probably won't be any ice cream left in the freezer so I would probably have to buy that. The bread would be a mix out of the pantry. One more box from the pantry gone! Yay!

And then, Friday, I am thinking lasagna. There are two boxes of lasagna noodles in the pantry. Now, my family uses two boxes in one meal but Saul's family eats about a half a box. (Who is doing the grocery shopping around here? Who keeps buying huge amounts of stuff? Who keeps buying stuff they'll never eat?) Now, we'll see if the cottage cheese that was in the fridge is still in the fridge by Friday. I will probably need to buy some more. More cottage cheese, more ground meat, more tomato sauce, and more shredded cheese. I cannot forget the shredded cheese this time! So, I'm thinking lasagna, garlic bread, and salad.

So, I should make a list, what I'm making and when I'm making it, what each of those recipes need and post it on Saul's fridge so that, hopefully, no one will go eating a major ingredient.

They can sing, they can dance
After all, Miss, this is France
And a dinner here is never second best
Go on, unfold your menu
Take a glance and then you'll
Be our guest
Be our guest
Be our guest

No comments: