Seven Friday Shorts

1. Yesterday I had a conversation with someone whose ex-wife has, sometime in her life, decided that she wants nothing more to do with God. The man asked me, "If my ex-wife were to die tomorrow, where would she go?" I felt terrible giving him the answer, I wanted to say, "Well, she prayed the prayer when she was a little girl so she would go to Heaven if she died tomorrow." Instead, I told him the truth. I pray that God would have mercy on her.

2. Apparently I am going to the zoo next week. Apparently I will be going with four girls under my charge. I will drive there, I will see that they don't fall into the seal display, I will bring them home again. No, I am not nervous at all. Children certainly keep you spry. I don't know if I am spry enough to handle four girls in a crowded zoo for a whole afternoon. No, I am not nervous at all.

3. I am reading the book Womanly Dominion and, oh my goodness gracious grapefruit, I ain't no dominating woman. The man who wrote it is trying to encourage women in and educate women as to what their role as a Godly wife and mother is. Now, I am no wife and I'm certainly not a mother, I'm pretty sure that I would not be one of those mothers who travels the country speaking at conferences and having their family and home featured in educational videos for homeschoolers. I'm pretty sure that, on most days, I would fail at being the--what's it called?--oh, yeah, Proverbs 31 Woman.
I'm certainly very eager to give it the old college try and aspire towards the Proverbs 31 standard but I'm afraid that I will come miserably short of the goal. The house will be unkempt, the children unwashed, the meals uncooked, and soccer practice will be forgotten. The children will be abandoned and the husbie will be miserable.

I must practice now, that means finishing this post and going out and being a servant. Such a foreign word to me.

4. I am so literate today. Not. I've got no flow or structure to the words that I am typing. Maybe it is because I am tired? I am tired. I am having a hard time grasping the strange notion of Bedtime, that time in the evening were you set your projects and occupations aside until the following day and climb into bed. If this time of the evening is not observed then morning will not be observed either--what is a day without a morning? An afternoon. It's only half a day--whoever heard of accomplishing Numerous Great Things in only half a day? A body needs the morning. I must observe bedtime.

5. I also must observe breakfast sometime within the next few moments or I will miss out on the delicacies.

6. I get to reading the strangest things online. I read this blog and I got to reading some of the blogs she follows. (It was so weird when I found the blog of a girl I actually know in the long list of all the blogs she follows.) Anyways. Since she is a fairly new mother and birthed both of her daughters naturally she follows a lot of pregnant woman, new mothers, etc. A lot of the blogs she follows feature posts with topics like birth stories, poop, most useful baby accessories, diapers, and, recently, Elimination Communication. Also known as infant potty training. Something, my friends, I would totally do if I had an infant. (But I might give up after the third day because I tend to be like that.)

7. I've been babysitting every Thursday night at church for awhile. Besides the boys that cannot seem to take off their throwing arm for two hours, we have a great time. Nah, we have a great time even with those boys. I don't have the heart to make the more wild members of our group sit in a corner, I haven't the heart to punish them for being males. I have threatened to tie them up but spare pieces of rope aren't usually found in church nurseries. (Though, that should probably change.)
Ah, babysitting is great when the children or child you are babysitting is very cute and very sweet. :)

No comments: