On My Football Education

There is a Packer/Bear football game on Sunday at three o'clock. I know this because a guy at work told me so yesterday.

I was wearing my Chicago shirt and he said, "I bet your a Bears fan" and I said, "I don't watch football." He just looked at me like I was crazy.

"I don't have a TV," I said, "and I don't really understand how the game works."

"Have you ever been to a football game?" He asked, I told him that I never have. He said, "Well you should, it's a lot of fun."

"I know," I said, "I'd really like to but I've never had the opportunity."

Now, whenever I see him (three or four times a day) he tells me something new about the game. He says there will be a quiz on Monday. So far I've got this down:
  • The game starts with a "kick-off."
  • When the ball gets to the end of the field, it's a touchdown, which is six points.
  • There are four quarters, and that's not money, though there is a lot of money in football.
"You know what you could do," he said, "Sunday at three o'clock, there is the Bear/Packer game. You could watch that."

"I told you," I said, "I don't have a TV."

He just looked at me like I was crazy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

good plan I have been alive double your age but I don't "get" football. It may be good to watch it though maybe it will be exciting to you. Not sure.

I do like the superbowl with others though, lots of others.

I went to a football game with the guys this Monday night but wanted to just talk about the Bible. We did a bit and it was good. I did like a few of the play though but I still don't fully get the fascination yet. Maybe the guys will convert me I don't know. I do know most of the rules though.

---Gus

Miss Me said...

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy"

~It's a song..

(:

Anonymous said...

H,

Huh ^ 2

---gus

Anonymous said...

If someday you try watching football and don't find it interesting enough, you could do what I did today... watch the game between two other TV shows and school, ALL at the SAME time.

Much more interesting that way- everyone knows there's only 10 min. of actual play time in football anyway.

Daughter of Eve said...

I completely hated football until last year, simply because I had no understanding of it whatsoever. As far as I could see, it was merely a game about trying to kill the people on the other team by jumping on them as hard as you could. *ahem* :P I didn't get what the ball had to do with it. However... my dad and bro started playing a football video game against each other quite frequently... and I would watch occasionally. And somehow, that helped. And now I understand it, or at least the basics.

And guess what... I enjoy watching it. Never thought that would happen.

So hey... it's worth a try. ;)