The Story So Far



You cannot, no matter how hard you try, look at that and tell me it's not one of the loveliest album covers you've ever seen. You can't.

I got a song stuck in my head today. It was really random, in the middle of geometry I get the line "in this city" stuck in my head. Do I know what the song is? No. Artist? No. Very, very random if you ask me, but I googled it and asked my siblings and found the song. It's God of This City and if you've heard it than it was probably Chris Tomlin singing it. Who wrote it originally? A little bitty band known as Bluetree.
In the last twenty minutes or so I've learned two things:
1) I need to get a hold of their CD.
2) They're from Northern Ireland and have accents.

Now, be good little children and click on that link to their site and view the video that will appear infront of your nose. It's Aaron Boyd playing and singing God of This City and then it's him talking about the inspiration for said song.

Anyways. Onto the point of this post.

"The story so far: in the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

Those are the opening words of the book The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. Yes, it's scifi, as the title suggests, and comedy, as the quote suggests. I'm currently at the place between the twentieth and twenty-first chapters, which is about two-thirds of the way thru the book. It's the second in a series and so far I've found I like the first, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, better.
I suppose I should point out right away that the author, Douglas Adams, is a athiest. Not a peaceful athiest, mind you, but a athiest who enjoys making fun of Christians and God. That is the one element of the books I don't like. They're really snort-worthy (i.e. amusing); if you've ever read Lemony Snicket you know the kind of humour I'm talking about. So, just to get that straight. If you can handle someone making fun of your God than go right ahead and read.
So, yes, I like the first better. I'm not really sure why, and I really can't say why. Probably because I haven't finished it yet.
Maybe Trillian and Arthur and Marvin and etc. will do something interesting before the book is over. We'll see, I guess... The tea-making escapade was funny, BTW.

I'm reading That Hideous Strength by C.S. Lewis, too. To balance out the Adams? Possibly, not sure. Currently I feel that it will turn into a most creepy book. Atleast, that's what the first half of the first chapter suggests. We'll see...

Well, this post is a dud. I thought I had more to say... Guess not.

3 comments:

~Karen_ said...

Hey. hi. the more I look at it...the more it do seem like a lovely album cover...it's strange...but most lovely album covers are...
Blech. Athiests. They trouble me. i don't think I could read it....plus, I don't want to support an athiest by paying money to read it.
hmm...I haven't read any CS Lewis books beside the Chroniclez of Nahniah...I probably should read em...i just hope i wont get pulled into a theological debate between my bro and my dad...
Noo, not dud. If any post was a dud it was mine

~Karen_ said...

Agh. Dis is Skittles ... mom was signed in ... and I didn't realize it. sorray

Daughter of Eve said...

Ugh. I could never read those books... :P Irish accents?! I gotta hear that band!!! :D I love Scottish accents, Irish accents, etc. So fun. :P I want to read those C.S. Lewis books. If I remember correctly that's the second book of the trilogy? Out of the Silent Planet, Perlandra, and That Hideous Strength. Okay, I take it back. If I remember correctly, it's the THIRD. :P Hope ya like it! :D

~Queen Lucy~