Seven Friday Shorts

1. Yesterday can be classified as a good day. Bible study day usually is, I've found. A highlight of yesterday is ending my chemistry studies feeling very optimistic, I usually am on Mondays and Thursdays. I even finished the main body of my schoolwork before bedtime! Doth that not rocketh?
Despite all the complaining I do about my schoolwork, I don't dislike it that much. The only subject I really dislike is geometry but even that I don't dislike all that much. How can one really hate it when it is almost over? I definitely appreaciate how simple it is, the highschool life. At least, I think I do.
I really do not want to be someone who begrudges the passing of years but I am worried I will be.
Anyways. I have said this before and I will say it again, my science teacher (the guy who wrote the curriculum) is really annoying. I know a lot of you have done the same program, don't you agree with me? How can someone who repeats everything not be annoying? For example, yesterday I was reading about chemical equations and I'm going, "Blahblahblah, I know all this already" when I get to the part about balancing chemical equations. He repeated the line, "Do not continue until you understand this concept or you will die" at least six times.
I confess: I skipped that part and went on to skim the example and then answer the in-text problems. I'm telling you, that guy takes me for an idiot. (Not that I am not but a teacher should express a little confidence toward his students.)

2. The other day during super the phone rang and Kelsey answered it. She immeadiately started blushing and the rest of us started trying to determine who was on the other end. After she hung up Heidi asked why she'd been blushing and Kelsey said, "Because he said what he always says, 'Are you beautiful today?'" Yep, we all know who that was!
Uncle Brian (my great uncle who is a trucker) was coming through the area and would stop in for a wee bit. He brought us ice cream and fifty pounds of potatoes.
So there we were, at 9:30PM inhaling ice cream. I like ice cream. :) He ate breakfast with us, also. It was a great breakfast thanks to the mysteries groceries on our porch! Hashed browns, scrambled eggs, fruit, toast. Uncle Brian brought in the bottle of ketchup he had in his truck to put on our hash browns since we were out. (I do not understand why people put ketchup on their potatoes.) It was a good, fun time.

3. Yesterday Heather and I dragged a turkey from our house to a friend's house in Nearbyville. We borrowed their oven for a few hours until it was cooked and then dragged it back home again. Our oven is a double oven. One of the ovens is the size of a regular oven and the other is about the size of an oven drawer. Several months ago the broiler in the top (small) oven broke and then just two or so months ago the oven part of the bottom oven died. So we have a stovetop, a really big broiler, and a really small oven. We had no room for a turkey.
Two weeks ago today we ran out of grocery allowance so we have been rationing and things of that sort. Thursday, yesterday, our last day, was going to be soaked wheat for breakfast, straight Lima beans for lunch, and cold turkey for super until Uncle Brian came and we discovered the groceries on the porch. Yesterday was instead cereal for breakfast, peanut butter and jelly for lunch, and turkey sandwhiches for supper. Better, don't you think? :) Thankfully our money is supposed to be renewed today, hopefully we will get enough to last us from one month to the next. Hopefully.

4. Exciting and awesome news of this week: I got The Call yesterday. Happy day! The Call means my boss cannot go without my assistance for much longer so sometime in the next week I will be getting paid to stare at a computer. (Possibly sort physical papers if the need presents it.) To any adults reading this: stop laughing. I am a poor student, having work is a good thing! Sometimes I think it would be best to drop out of highschool and enter the work force and the rest of the time I think I'm almost done anyway.
When I get called I go, "YES!!" and then I go, "But...I'm busy this week." :P So, well, there's that news.

5. Yesterday I made my buns. Last time I made them with half water and half milk but this time I did them all water because I didn't think about milk until later. I used olive oil instead of butter because we were short on butter. I also cooked them for five minutes lesa than previously at 325 instead of 350. Lastly I didn't rise them four times. :P They tasted significantly less sour.
Another cooking adventure was Lima beans and potatoes soup with some pasta and ground beef tossed in at the last minute.
Proclaimation:
A. The pasta was a major fail, it was really gross.
B. Marjoram smells good, lima beans do not.
C. It was too much like vichyssoise for my taste.
D. I am paranoid of burning things when using the stove.
Basically, it ended badly.

6. I finished watching War and Peace last night. The book was better.

7. I finally finished The Last Continent this morning. I forgot Rincewind was now in possession of Luggage so I got excited when he was mentioned because he is my favorite "character." However I was disappointed with him. He actually appeared to like what's-her-name! (Yes, I might have trouble with names, what's it to you?) I liked Luggage better when he was overly faithful dog who followed his master around. I liked him when his only thought processes were stay close to Master, protect Master, do Master's biddings. I liked him when his "brain" was too small to fit anyone besides Master into it. I would also love to have a trunk like that, I detest ironing.
Does anyone else have a really hard time following Pratchett? Half the time I have no idea what is going on in the story because he is so stinkin' vague. I have to reread stuff and even then I'm not sure that what I think he said was what he said. For example, two characters are standing in a library and one see something falling toward him and then the next minute he is asking for help to get unburied. What can one logicall conclude from those facts? I am not sure but I concluded that some books must have fallen on him.
On an ending note, someone needs to fire their cover designer.

1 comment:

Kate said...

So you'll never ready Pratchett again? I must say I thought the cover design was so very clever. A country shapped like a kangaroo? That'a cool. Of course I haven't read the book so you are more certified to slam the cover art. :)