Seven Friday Shorts

1. So far I am not sure if I like Ragtime or not. Yes, it is genius but I'm not sure the graphic-ish inappropriate content is worth the story. Let's just say it is sad and messy.
Doctorow writes in an interesting way, he uses no punctuation except periods and commas. I would have thought I would find this annoying but it is not, I rarely notice it. It seems to make everything more vivid and more ghostly.

2. I keep a journal and in my journal I write everything that I do not think I can say aloud. Things I do not want to say because they are secrets, secrets I cannot say out loud because I've promised not to but I really, really want to say. Also, feelings I have that I do not want to talk about for fear the knowledge of them would hurt somebody. (Of course, I write other things in my journal, too.)
I keep a blog where I cannot write those things for who knows who is reading it. The only way I can bear to say anything like the above on here is if I omit names, places, and parts of the circumstances. Like this:
"Being a chaperon stinks."

3. Congratulate me, friends! Yesterday I figured out how to enter scientific notation in my iPod's calculator! No more doing it in my head! Before I was indeed doing chemistry without a scientific calculator which isn't that hard, it's just not as easy as it is with one. :)

4. Last week I went with siblings and friends to a David Crowder Band, Mercyme, Family Force 5, Fee, Francesca Battestelli, Sidewalk Prophets, and Remedy Drive concert. I think I might be forgetting one of the bands that was there.
David Crowder and Co. definitely put on the best show, I'm not really into their music because it is a little too country but they're great and entertaining people and getting the energy going and getting the people into it. They interacted with the audience more than the other bands, it seemed like the other bands were just there to perform because it was their job. How awesome that they sang I Saw the Light. :) :)
Steve 3PO, David Crowder Band's robot drum, was awesome. Very, very cool.
I do not know who I liked second best, I think Mercyme because I know more of their songs, a concert is better when you can sing along. :) I am a fan of So Long Self, I am glad they sang that one.
I did not like Francesca Battestelli or Family Force 5. I do not care for Battestelli's voice or her style of music. I am not one to wear earplugs or the like at concerts but Family Force 5 was too much. They were so loud and so un-musical. Loud music is okay, loud noise is not so okay. The friends I was with reviewed said things like "they're possessed" and "the Spirit of the Lord has departed." Oh, and I beg your apologies but that one FF5 guy reminded me of an ape or caveman. =/
Remedy Drive was the band that amused me the most, how can one not laugh when the lead singer acts like that?! Knocking his head on the piano and falling over it while all the time pumping his leg--haha, it amuses me.
It was a fun time. :)

5. Last Saturday my family drove about two hours to a celebration in honour of our liberty, the liberty that our forefathers won and that people in other countries won for themselves. A lot of people get into costumes, the girls in their (mostly colonial) dresses and the guys in their breeches and high-socks (also an occasional kilt).
Speaking of kilts, skits look so strange on guys. Speaking of high-socks, hehehe. It is no wonder that girls dress-up more readily than boys. ;)
We saw some friends we have not seen in awhile, we hadn't seen the B. Family for several months (their new addition is a cutie! I got to hold him!) and the D. Family who we hadn't seen for a little over a year. We also saw the F. Family, K. Family, and S. Family. Very cool!
The entertainment included music and then some reenactments. The music was good but it kind of dragged an I didn't know most of the songs. The first "band" that played was made up of three brothers and a sister, each of whom was compitent in atleast two instruments (fiddle, guitar, bass, banjo, penny whistle, accordian, drum) and, of course, they sang.
The only other musical piece was three brothers (atleast, they're related in some way, there would have been four but the fourth was saving his voice for Patrick Henry). They sang a song quite well but I didn't think the song was that great, a little amateurish.
They had two reenactment thingimies, one was about some British soldier trying to cross some bridge in Salem to steal some ammunition but some pastor wouldn't open some gate or something and the other was about the the 2nd Virginia Convention where Patrick Henry gave his famous speech.
The former was not very good, the acting was very bad, no emotion whatsoever, all they did was stand around in costumes and recite their lines: very pathetic. The latter was much better (even better than last time we saw them do it). The reprisentative dudes sat among the audience while the clerk and two other dudes sat on the stage, Kelsey and I were sitting next to a guy named Nicholas who I believe voted against what Patrick Henry proposed. They were all dressed up quite nicely, even up to their powdered wigs. The poor guy playing Patrick Henry had to deliver this dramatic speech and be all passionate and yell at the audience members when his voice was bad to begin with. I did feel bad for him but he was really excellent anyway.
When that ended we all stood up and sang a hymn, we were lead by a guy with a very nice full voice. :)
After that the girls went and did some old-time dancing and the boys went and had a drill of some sort. Following that was some ages 12+ only complicated country dancing. The guy who lead the last song asked Heather to dance with him and she did. (Which is funny because me and Kelsey were noticing him being an usher earlier and had commented on how well-mannered he was. He's a preacher's kid an definitely looked it.)
One of our friends is being teased mercilessly by her family about the guy she danced with. Even her mother was into it, she commented about what a fun wedding it would be. O.o
No one asked me to dance (except Katelyn when her partner ran off) which was most pitiful. :(
I still have not recovered from being up so late (just past midnight) two nights in a row--I am not used to it.

6. Today, I shall make pizza. Pizza I shall make. At least that is what I am planning to attempt, I have not made pizza for ages, like, years. :P
This brings a halt to my chemistry studying because I need to go start the dough and wake the yeast up--this will be the most amazing pizza ever. :)

7. I should have a tag for chemistry on this blog because I mention it a ton. Well, friends, I have a test tomorrow! A test on the atomic structure, not too hard, right? After that I must conquer module #8 which will be followed by the halfway test. :)
Speaking of school, I still despise geometry.

Sent from my iPod

No comments: