Seven Friday Shorts

1. Today I spent some time in the laundromat because our washing machine decided last week that it is tired of working for us. (It is overworked and underpaid, you know; it's fairly easy to be that overworked and underpaid if you aren't paid.) After Kelsey and I put the clothes into the washers we entertained outselves by reading the ladies' magazines that were scattered about the place. I read the housekeeping and clutter control tips and Kelsey looked at the pictures of models and random people on the red carpet, she also read a article thingummy on how to tell if the guy you are talking to/with is paying attention to you or not. I thought it was amusing but very silly. ;) Who cares which way his feet are pointing! O.o

2. At the moment I am reading a biography of St. Augustine, it is a poorly written biography for young adults. Anyways--I learned something that I didn't know before! I didn't know about the "feast days" the Roman Catholics had. On the anniversaries of the martyrdom of the saints they would go and have a party at the graveside, it must have been something like having a party ontop of an earthquake! :P According to the book I am reading, they ate and drank until they could barely walk and did all sorts of immoral things "in honor of the saints." They thought nothing of this until the bishop Ambrose made it illegal and then it still took years of preaching by St. Augustine before it completely stopped. Nasty, eh?
I need to make this post quick because I need to finish the book tonight.

3. This week I became a fan of the song Defying Gravity from the musical Wicked. I've also had the song from Beauty and the Beast stuck in my head for a few days, well not the song just the part where Belle sings, "Here's where she meets Prince Charming/But she won't discover that it's him/'Til chapter three."
I also recently discovered that I like the music in Mama Mia! (Before you judge me, I have never actually seen the movie or anything. So if it is shockingly horrible or something, just realize that I was/am unaware of that fact and only know that the songs are very well composed and sung.) Anyways, back to what I was saying: I thought the music was good and I was curious about the plot of the movie. Where do you go when you want to know something? Google, of course! I read the synopsis on Wikipedia. My reaction: LOL! See for yourself.)

4. Tomorrow I am going to an UNO tournament! I am actually feeling kind of...excited! Excited to go play UNO, you say? Yep, I say!

5. Ooh, there is a thunderstorm raging outside. The lights just flashed on and off. I hope I get to post this post!

6. Yesterday I made thirty-two dinner rolls, two loaves of bread, and a --err-- decent pot roast. (And warmed up some leftovers but that hardly counts.) Let me tell you, the bread and the rolls might be the best ones I've made yet! I recently switched recipes and I am still getting used to this new one. I am still working to be familiar with how things are supposed to look so that when they don't look right I know wether I need more flour or more water or more whatever. The rolls were really light and fluffy, buttery, and had a really nice smell and flavor.
Do you know how very unpleasant it is to cook in a kitchen infested by ants? Ants in the sink, on the counters, crawling around on the flour, on the fridge, on the dishes in the cabinets. Ugh. (The ants only appeared in the kitchen sometime last week and we do have poison out, in fact, there are basically none in there now so please do not think we keep a bad kitchen.) As you cook you have to examine the dishes you want to use for ants, they crawl up your legs as you're working, and, besides all that, it's just the fact that ants + food = gross that makes it unpleasant.
I always feel like a very bad housekeeper whenever I find a bug (or bugs) in the house. :(
Poll question: would you rather have ants in your kitchen or mosquitoes in your bedroom?

7. I still really like my blog template but I still really despise the sidebar. I'm trying to come up with some reasons for the date to not be working but I can't think of any. I don't know how I'm supposed to fix it if I don't know why it's not working or how I'm going to began to fix it.

1 comment:

Kate said...

I totally agree to all these shorts. The roles and bread you made were positively devine!

I cracked up laughing at the mens feet comment. Heidi Ann just gave me a look.