A Milestone and the Wish List

This is an event that is definitely blogworthy! Today I officially convinced my husband that I can infact navigate a kitchen without a) starting a fire, b) blowing anything up, or c) hurting myself.

The funny thing is that I proved this with fried eggs, toast, cinnamon rolls out of a can...essentially, I proved it without any real cooking. Oh the irony!

Anyone who has been following this blog for a decent amount of time should probably know that I like to cook. I like the creativity part, I like to make food that I want to eat, homemade food is generally better, cheaper, and/or healthier than frozen dinners, fast food, and food purchased at a restaurant.

Unfortunately, the main reason I do not cook is because my kitchen is so dysfunctional and then partially because I lack the extra time. Mostly because of the dysfunctional part. Trust me on this, guys, I have a stove, a tiny little sink, and then a bit of counter space about the same size as the stove top. (Plus, most of the kitchen cabinets are practically useless.) On top of that I have an extreme lack of kitchen tools, at least that is what it feels like. Jimmy and I had a conversation the other week about what is on our personal wish Lists. Of course he said that he wished that I would always be happy and that he wished that he could always prevent sad things from happening blah, blah, blah. My wish List however is like a mile long, I must be a really materialistic person. Most of the things on my list are kitchen related though. A mixer, a blender, pots and pans, Pyrex items, mixing bowls, mixing spoons, the whole kit and kaboodle really.

Maybe I am being too first world when I say that the only cinnamon rolls that I can make come out of a can. Maybe I am not seeing the opportunity but that is definitely what it feels like. I made natchos last week and improvised a dinner plate as a cutting board and a steak knife in place of a legit cutting knife.

I don't know, I guess I just need to perfect my improvisation skills until my small installments to my kitchen are all made.

(P.s. I am kind of picky about knives. It is my mom's fault, her kitchen always the best knives, better than anyone else's mom's had.)

No comments: