On Going Into the Other Room and Reading a Book

I was going to make a post related to rainbows today but I decided not to, it would be too much work.

This morning I finished the last seventy or so pages of the book Making Money. If you are considering this for your to-read list and you, like myself, possess a weak constitution, be warned! It can be very vile. Cosmo is disgusting, I'm not sure which word to use to expound on his disgustingness. Cosmo is just really gross.

After I finished that I wentand read several chapters of Wicked aloud to my little sister because she really wants me to. Those of you who are shocked by this: no, I am not feeding every single word, phrase, and passage into her little ears. I think, so far, I have done a moderately good job of seamlessly skipping over inappropriate scenes and dialogue. (Except for once when I indicated that I was skipping a "bad word.") I was right about my prediction that I would not like this book, Maguire does not impress me...much.

Sometime after that I went to the library and picked up four books, Cranford, Hitch, Milkweed, and The Light of Eidon. These are all books that I'm clearing off my to-read list.
The first is on there because I liked the movie and I've been told that it is good; I have high expectations for it. The second I cannot remember why it was on my to-read but it is set in the middle of the Great Depression, that might be why it is on my list; I do not have very great expectations. The third is there because I heard it was good and Jerry Spinelli is a great name. The fourth because it was recommended to me a year or two ago by a friend, it is Christian fiction so I do not expect it to be great.

So far the only one of those I've read is Milkweed. I didn't expect anything life changing because it is modern YA fiction and so J was not disappointed. It was pretty good but I wanted Janina and her father to live, I wanted Misha to stay married.... I suppose I will have to accept the cold, hard fact of nature that everything can't be My Way. I do not think its title is appropriate.

Next I will read Cranford, I may even read a chapter before bed.

I have one more book that I am waiting on the library for, it is called Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I want to like this one but I am afraid I will not.

(This is a poor impersonation of a creative post, maybe I should have gone with the rainbows after all.)

No comments: