Cold, White, Fluffy Water that Falls from the Sky

"Next morning I awoke, looked out the window and nearly died of fright. My screams brought Atticus from his bathroom half-shaven.
'The world's endin', Atticus! Please do something--' I dragged him to the window and pointed.
'No it's not,' he said. 'It's snowing.'
Jem asked Atticus would it keep up. Jem had never seen snow either, but he knew what it was. Atticus said he didn't know any more about snow than Jem did. 'I think, if it's watery like that, it'll turn to rain.'
"The telephone rang and Atticus left the breakfast table to answer it. 'That was Eula May,' he said when he returned. 'I quote--"As it has not snowed in Maycomb County since 1885, there will be no school today."'
...When Atticus finally called us to order and bade us look at our plates instead of out the windows, Jem asked, 'How do you make a snowman?'
'I haven't the slightest idea...I doubt there'll be enough snow for a snowball, even.'"
-- Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
Now go forth and laugh.
Sent from my iPod

3 comments:

netsirK said...

*goes forth and laughs*
:D I really need to read that book! All my friends read it and said it was really good. Then one of them had to make a mini video for school about the book. I somehow ended up being Atticus. O.o

Daughter of Eve said...

*goes forth and laughs* :P That's funny. I've got to read that book in school this year. Is it good?

Alyosha said...

Ha! Love the quote.

Must reread TKAM, can't remember any of it--except that it was the rare Great Classic that actually lives up to its reputation. Yay. (and it wasn't ALL about racism either)

Happy Easter! (or Resurrection Day if thou prefer-est)