Nota Bene: V

Today I was awakened at some unknown time that was before 7AM by my sister rummaging around in our room and then a little later Dad came in and said I needed to get up and so I did. (Such a good little child.) I got up and was given various instructions for various things and then a bit later Dad, Heather, and Sister #4 went off to a booksale.

Eugenides made oatmeal for breakfast *refrains from commenting* and so I had toast and cream cheese *refrains from commenting*. The first batch of oatmeal didn't turn out too well and so they made a second. As a result I didn't start on the table chores until about 9 and didn't get time to finish them proper before 10, which is when I had to be at The Store. It was raining so Mom drove Kale and I to The Store.
I had my first experience of raindrops on glasses. Speaking of rain--don't you just love it? Except when it floods. Blah.
When we got to The Store I ran some packages across the street and handed them to our town's postmaster (friendly dude, I daresay) and then ran upstairs. Flipped on lights, plugged things in, etc.

My two duties were to sort through our listed CDs and make sure their listing's descriptions were right. That they said exlib when needed and only then and that the condition of the CD was correct and things like that. There was only some half-dozen ones that K changed. Means we're attentive listers! Woot!
My other duty was to listen to two CDs, one was "Ballad of the Broken Sea" or something and the other one was "Strangler and Young" or something. I had to listen and make sure they had no skips. (Not like there were any scratches on it nor do we usually listen to them but whatever.)
The first one was really boring and weird. A guy and a lady moaning to wailing music and wailing to moaning music. They alternated between English and gibberish and who knows what at random intervals. Not that I listened closely or anything!
The second was two old-ish guys singing old-like songs with old-like tunes. "Chicagooooo my hometown" and "In Dixie land I'll take my stand" are the only bits that stand out. Not my thing but not as bad as the other.

I finished that at three and than wandered around for a hour. Most of that hour was spent reading some green book we had behind the desk about a fashion model. Kind of a autobiography, I guess. (She was a model in the 70s and maybe later.)

We made three sales. One was the sale of a baby doll. The lady had me hold it ( :P ) well she wrote out her check and then when she took it from me she said, "Come here, baby" to it. Affectionate woman. Also we got a light installed over the desk which is kind of cool. :D

At 4 Mom picked us up and I came home and made supper. Two bags of chicken thighs dumped in a pan and sprinkled with paper, coated with paprika, and then sprinkled with some random mixed spice. Cut two small-medium onions into chunks and sprinkle the pieces over your chicken. Toss (*snickers*). that into the oven at 400. After an hour open the oven and complain because it isn't done yet. Take it out of the oven and drain out half the juice. Make a mixture of honey, butter, and flour. Pour that over the chicken. Put the chicken back in the oven. (Right about now Certain Characters got back from the sale.) Well you're waiting for it to cook make some biscuits. Look through the cupboard and see that your normal recipe is gone, so look online for a new one. Find a new one and be annoyed that it only contains the cook temperature and no cook time. Also feel annoyed that it uses self-rise flour which you don't have; just wing it with the baking powder.
Well your flour is grinding pour two cups of milk into a bowl and then 8tsp of mayonnaise (thank goodness you have mayonnaise), when the flour is done add four cups of it to the milk mixture (or 8 half cups if you don't want to use the one cup you've dirtied with milk)--no stiring! Gently add 1tbsp to the flour resting ontop of the milk. Stir the baking powder into the flour--you don't have to be thorough, just do a few turning motions without mixing in any milk. Now stir until all ingredients are combined. You should have very little batter but grease a muffin tin anyway. (The batter should also be very wet for biscuits). Dish the batter into the muffin tin. You should have enough for 22 and a half muffin shaped biscuits. Since your top oven (you have a two door oven, isn't that nice?) doesn't hold your 24spot muffin tin you jack your chicken temperature up to 450 and place your biscuits in the oven. (Your glasses will cloud over when you open and lean
over the hot oven. Don't panic. Wait a few seconds and this will clear.) You're going to have to wing the cook time. Just remember that twenty-five minutes is too much. When you deem your biscuits to be done pull them out of the oven and let the cool. No need to turn the oven temperature back down.
Take two bags of frozen corn and cook the corn. Using the microwave uses up less stove space.
After your chicken has been cooking for a hour and a fifty minutes pulled it out and "stir" it (as in flip the pieces around) pour the drained juices back into it. Smell it, does it smell good? Put it back into the oven for ten minutes. After that it should be done.
To serve: place a thigh or two in a bowl and laddle juice with onion bits over that, spoon some corn in, place a biscuit on the side, and then use what was mint dip (the stuff you made the night before and just deluted with some melted butter and spoonfulls of your chicken juice) and is now garnish to garnish the soupy-something-or-other you just made. :D Serve as soon as possible.
(Serves twelve people--one of which didn't eat your biscuits nor garnish because of allergies.)

I was rather annoyed with the chicken for taking so long to cook, and with the biscuits for doing their thing so fast but it didn't turn out too bad. Alot of different flavors all all at once. Sweet, spicy (okay, there was very little of that one), sour, greasy, vegetably, pastry, and, so, yeah.

After that it was not my day to do table chores so I went and checked Facebook and Twitter, and blog, and all those fine things. I watched A little TV, then I read a little of The House of Windjammer (which I'm going to have to renew, I think). I had a "brawl" with Sister #7, she didn't want to go to bed and didn't think I had the right to tell her to....

And I have caught up with myself.

A recent conversation:
Eugenides: Guess what! I ruined three flowers today and he doesn't love me! Either that or they all have uneven petals.
Me: Who's he?
Sister #5: She named him George. They were going to get married on Thursday.

Hmm. Tough luck. ;)

2 comments:

Daughter of Eve said...

I used to love going out in the rain. Now with glasses I hate it. :P I just stay inside the whole time. :P Welcome to the joys of glasses-wearing. :P It's worth it, though. :D Mmm, yummy dinner! :D

~Queen Lucy~

Kiwi da Fruit said...

How much do I love Owan....How...much...do I love Owan......Hm. I'll have to think on that one a bit...;D
It depends on what you have in your hand. What do you have in your hands? (Or more like, what did you have in your hands when you commented?)
Stinker!! Now it's bugging me.

Wow, your meals sound...interesting! So did the "Gina's Lamb & Mint Yogurt Dip, switched-up" turn out good?

Lovely seeing you again today! It's not often we get to see eachother twice in one week. And, if you come to the Uno Tourney, we will have reached a personal record of thrice!
~Kiwi~