Nota Bene: I and II

This will be my new series. If you do not know what "nota bene" means than shame on you, your family, your house, your blog, your shoes. To Google with you--now!
So, yes, I shall make a post, hopefully once a day, covering what I did that day. This one will be for today and yesterday.
Yesterday, being Sunday, I got up early--well, 6AM isn't that early--and I ate a bowl of cereal and Heather and I went off to church. (Heather was a substitute singer 'cause the lady who was going to sing had to work instead.)
We arrived for the worship team's practice at 7:25-ish and I watched them practice and do their thing. It was cool. :D After awhile people began to show up and at 8:30 the service started. We sang Come Thou Fount ("Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it/Prone to leave the God I love/Here's my heart, oh take and seal it/Seal it for Thy courts above"), There is No Other Name (by Robin Mark--very good), Join All the Glorious Names (which is Isaac Watts and Bob Kauflin), and All I Once Held Dear ("Knowing You, Jesus, knowing You/There is no greater thing/You're my all, You're the best/You're my joy, my righteousness/And I love, Lord.")
Hurrah for parantheses. My church plays the same song or set of songs very often and then they'll move on to a new song or set of songs. Like we're subtly being taught songs. A few years ago it was Blessed Be Your Name consantly. Sadly, that's the only specific song I remember...
Moving on... The announcements were particularly interesting today. One about missionaries and the MIRC (they made the name up themselves--smart boys), another about the Associate Pastor Canidate weekend, and my favorite was for the canoe trip. The pastor was sitting behind me and I heard him being roped into announcement help. He was, as called, to throw a volleyball and frisbee at the announcer.
So the announcer's talkin' $20 per canoe, blah blah, and if you don't like canoeing come for the picnic where we will have things like volleyball --volleyball flies near my head-- and frisbee --frisbee floats by-- and chainsaw juggling! No chainsaws rattled by but I was laughing too hard to be sure. ;)
The Children's Sermon was fun too ("if children preschool to fifth grade would come on up," heard that line hundreds of times). ShortStuff, Kirsten, and Jumbo Shrimp did a very nice job helping out, as always. :D
And then there was the sermon. That was on Saul's conversion. The bit where Ananias came and layed his hands on Saul. That bit. Very good sermon, of course. The parts that stand out is about were Saul hasn't eaten for three days, Ananias "reminds" God that Saul's the guy that's been killing people, and the horrible feelings Saul must have had--the realization that all this time he had been fighting against God. What he thought had been God's work was...not.
After church I stood around and talked with friends until 10:30 which marks the beginning of second service. Some people may not wish to attend both service but I do. Most things are better in first service (but second service singing is better). I also like hearing the sermon twice for things make more sense--what didn't make sense the first time and even the things that did become clearer.
After second service we stood around for a hour or so and talked with random people about random things. Kiwi and her sister gave us a riddle to figure out. *tries to remember*
He who makes it doesn't want it;
He who wants it doesn't need it;
He who needs it doesn't know it.
I don't know the answer to that one but I'm very willing to stick firm to the idea that it's an assylum. Makes sense to me. Eugenides attempt at making chocolate fit amused me. :P
Well, we got home from church at something like 1:30 and ate a lunch of pea soup and spent the rest of the day watching random LOST bits and pieces and doing nothing short of nothing.
For supper we had vegetables with dip and then ice cream with chocolate syrup, cookies, drops, frozen berries, and I think I'm forgetting something. Very, very tasty. Sweetness, really.
I did the table chores with some of the sibs and then more nothing. Atleast, it may not have been nothing but it sure wasn't memorable.
This morning I got up and was excited to find that Jumbo Shrimp had updated her blog! Woot! I commented on that and then went and made pancakes. It took me about half a hour to make the batter (Mom had to run across town to get more eggs) and then almost two hours to flip them all. They were good if I do say so myself. But pancakes with honey (no butter, we were out of butter) are depressing. Compared to syrup they are, atleast. Syrup bathes them, honey is just sticky.
If only syrup wasn't so expensive...
After breakfast we had a mini Bible study time. I sat on the floor playing with pattern blocks well listening. Someday I shall decorate the floor in my house with those. Fun, fun. :D
After that I dragged the radio into the sunroom. That's the room that serves as a mini library, playroom, and schoolroom all at once. We're trying to get it cleaned as it is an unholy mess. So, yeah, I cleaned in there for several hours. Probably didn't improve it much but that's what I did. ;)
I hung out for a hour or two, ate dinner, did the table chores with Kale, and then hung out for a bit more.
Now it is raining and 10:30 so I shall leave in a rushed hurry...

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

"My church plays the same song or set of songs very often and then they'll move on to a new song or set of songs. Like we're subtly being taught songs."

Oh neat, so does our church... :)
~Queen Susan from N-web. *Just wanted to let you know I'm reading your blog*

Rebecca said...

About the accent question: Well, people around where we live all speak the same it seems. So we don't have an accent different from them. But if we went down South, then they would tell us we had a Yankee accent.
A 10 year old boy from church told us we had an accent... because we use the word "Mayn't" (Kind of like "can't"... May not. Mayn't) So he thought we had an accent.
About Bolt: I actually enjoyed most of it. I thought it was funny.
But some parts were QUITE annoying, such as: "Believe in yourself!" "You can do it!" "Just BE yourself" "Follow your inner self!" "The world needs you to be a hero!!"
Etc. That part got annoying, and the storyline was VERY predictable, but I enjoyed MOST of it for the MOST part anyway. :)

Daughter of Eve said...

Ha ha, this is funny. Queen Susan and now Queen Lucy! :P That was a really good sermon. I thoroughly enjoyed it. That's not quite the right word. Anyway...

We're going to have dinner with the associate pastor and family + search commitee + Pastor J and family + Mrs. S on Thursday night. Wow! That's gonna be a full house! :P Can't wait for the Uno Tournament!! See you there?

~Queen Lucy~

Emily said...

Sorry I have not a clue as to what nota bene is. Is it really fair to shame my shoes though?

Wow. I didn't know my posting was such a celebrated occasion. Maybe I should more often.
`
I'm tempted to tell you what the answer to the riddle is. Don't worry, I won't, but tell me when you get it.